Your browser is out of date.
This site may not function properly in your current browser. Update Now
Completed in 1768, the Petit Trianon provided Louis XV and his Mistress the Comtesse Du Barry with the privacy which was so sorely lacking at the palace.
© Thomas Garnier

Trianon palaces and gardens

In an attempt to gain some brief respite from courtly etiquette, the kings of Versailles built themselves more intimate spaces close to the main palace. Adjoining the Petit Parc, the estate of Trianon is home to the Grand Trianon and Petit Trianon palaces, as well as the Queen’s Hamlet and a variety of ornamental gardens.

*The Grand Trianon *

“A little palace of pink marble and porphyry, with marvellous gardens,” wrote Jules Hardouin-Mansart, architect of the Grand Trianon. Heavily influenced by Italian architecture, this royal residence is set over a single storey flanked by a courtyard on one side and gardens on the other. A balustrade runs around the flat roof, previously adorned with sculptures of children, ornamental vases and other figures. An architectural historian adroitly noted the aesthetic originality of this structure, combining as it does the “elevation of an orangery, the layout of a warren and the materials of a royal residence.”

The Petit Trianon

In 1758 Louis XV decided to build a new château in the middle of his gardens, which he had been working on for more than a decade. He commissioned royal architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel to build a new royal residence large enough to house the king and some of his entourage. A few years later Louis XVI was brought to the throne and gave the Petit Trianon and its estate to his young bride, Marie-Antoinette, who rapidly made it her own and set about redecorating the exteriors in the style of Anglo-Oriental gardens.

Many World Heritage sites are temporarily closed to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please check official websites for more information.

Visit

Trianon palaces and gardens

Hours

*Low season: *
From 1 November to 31 March, the Estate of Trianon is open every day except on Mondays, 25 December and 1 January.
Opening times: 12:00 – 17:30

Last admission: 17:00
Ticket office closes at 16:50

*High season: *
From 1 April to 31 October, the Estate of Trianon is open every day except on Mondays and 1 May.
Opening times: 12:00 – 18:30 for the Grand Trianon and the Petit Trianon
Opening times:12:00 – 19:30 for the gardens

Last admission: 18:00
Ticket office closes at 17:50

The opening hours might change depending on the weather, the period of the year or special events. Please refer to the website for up-to-date information.

Pricing

The Passport cost 27 euros and includes the admission to the whole Estate: the Palace (with audio guide), the estate of Trianon, the temporary exhibitions, the Gardens and the Park, the Musical Fountains Show and the Coach Gallery. Other tickets are available.